Saturday 26 June 2010

20 New Friends

3 days in Switzerland, giving a ColdFusion training for three developers of a Zug based company. The training was a mixed affair - the participants weren't beginners at all but a beginner course had been booked. On the 3rd day they were all researching on their own which is much more fun than being taught. Too bad I didn't get most of their conversation - "Swiss German" is very different from German.

Zug is not far from Zürich, a smaller town but also very rich and multicultural - I liked the place a lot. And then, they have the wonderful lake, the mountains ... and the weather was just perfect. Too bad I only had two evenings for myself.

I spent the first evening walking through the old town and hanging out with the other tourists ...

On the second evening, I took the cable car up the mountain right behind Zug, armed with a map for a 1-2 hour roundtrip hike that one of my ColdFusion colleagues had kindly given to me. I was rewarded with breathtaking vistas and a beautiful landscape to walk through. Wonderful!

On a meadow on top of the mountain I met a herd of twenty cows with bells - here's what they sounded like:



The cows came towards me after a few minutes and surrounded me, clearly interested in my digital recorder. Or maybe they wanted to be close to me. I liked them and they liked me. When I turned around and continued my walk, they all followed me for a few minutes.

On the next evening, I got into a plane and flew home again ... after a very nice mini vacation (although of course I had spent most of the day in an office building, looking at a computer screen and talking about programming). I'll be back in July when I'll do a second course.

No comments:

Post a Comment